I don’t feel like making a review for Paulo Coelho’s The Alchemist not because I don’t want but because it’s so intimidating. If I told you before that international books like Fifty Shades of Grey, The Hunger Games and Nicholas Sparks books are so challenging to critique, a novel listed in one of the bestselling books in the history like this is more challenging. It seems that a simple reader like me has no right to say anything about it even though it’s obvious that i’m gonna be giving good comments. So since this is already known by many, I decided to make a quiz for you instead of making a review about it.
Just a quick background, The Alchemist is a novel by Brazilian author Paulo Coelho which was first published in 1988. Originally written in Portuguese, it has been translated into at least 69 languages as of December 2016. The book is an international bestseller. According to AFP, it has sold more than 150 million copies in 70 different languages, becoming one of the best-selling books in history and setting the Guinness World Record for most translated book by a living author.
1. What mythological character is the prologue about?
2. How much treasure does the gypsy woman in Tarifa ask for?
3. What did the gypsy have in her house that calmed the boy down?
a. A Bible
b. An image of the Sacred Heart of Jesus
c. An image of Jesus
d. Our Father written on the wall
4. What caught the boy’s eye at the market in Moracco?
c. Sword and Scabbard
d. A book
5. What is the name of the wind that blows from Africa?
6. What country is Al-Fayoum in?
7. In Alchemy, what is the principle that governs all things?
a. The Song of the World
b. The Language of the World
c. The God of the World
d. The Soul of the World
8. What does the Alchemist advise Santiago to listen to in order to immerse himself in the desert?
a. His heart
b. The desert omens
c. His love for Fatima
d. The omens of the pyramids
9. What does “maktub” mean?
b. It is written
c. Good Luck
10. Where was the boy’s treasure?
a. In Egypt behind a pyramid
b. In Spain under the sycamore tree
c. In Oasis beside the well
d. In the desert of Sahara
Know if your answers are correct! And let me know it. Comment your scores below.