When we were young, we learned that milk is white. And as we grew older, we knew that we can turn the color of a liquid such as milk by using food coloring. However, kids today are taught how to change the colors of the milk continuously from white to red to blue to green to yellow as if the colors of the milk move. And that we don’t know how since their procedure is quite different from ours. And of course, we don’t want the younger ones to be smarter than us when it comes to these things so here’s how children do it. I’ll give you a hint. Science!
1. Gather the materials needed. This includes milk, food coloring, dish washing liquid and glitters. We will also use a shallow clear container and a cotton swab.
2. Pour milk into the container until the bottom is covered. You don’t have to fill the container.
3. Drop different colors of food coloring in the middle.
4. Sprinkle glitters for more wonderful effects.
5. Dip the cotton swab into the dish washing liquid.
6. Then, dip the cotton wad with dish washing liquid into the middle of the milk.
7. Watch as the colors and glitters on the milk spread and change its colors.
How does it work?
According to Nipissing University, the dish soap does not mix with the milk. Instead it floats on top and spreads over the surface. As it spreads, it grabs the food coloring. Soap is a degreaser so the molecules in it are attacking the fat in the milk, causing motion which creates the swirling of the colors.