Among the food in the feast for this year’s New Year’s Eve is mom’s Spaghetti with Meatballs. It’s one of her specialty when it comes to pasta, together with Mushroom Cream Penne Pasta and Tuna Pasta. They have distinct flavors which can only be made by my mother. And I’m lucky that I got my camera ready when she started cooking the pasta of her choice for the night, Spaghetti with Meatballs so I can be able to share her recipe in my blog. No! It’s not a secret anymore, my mother.
1. Prepare all the ingredients needed. This includes the spaghetti pasta, ketchup, tomato sauce, ground beef, margarine, chopped garlic and onion and cheese.
2. If you haven’t cooked the spaghetti pasta, boil water with a pinch of salt. Put the pasta in and stir. To check if it’s already fine, the inside of the pasta shouldn’t be colored white.
3. Drain the pasta when it’s done and set it aside.
4. Get the ground beef and form small balls as much as you want. But make sure to leave one-fourth kilo of meat for later use.
5. Fry them with oil and set aside.
6. For the sauce, start by sauteing margarine, garlic and onion.
7. Add the remaining ground beef and mix them together until it gets brown.
8. And return the bigger chunks of beef into the pan.
9. Stir in the red sauces. My mom prefers tomato sauce and ketchup. In a kilo of spaghetti, we added a liter of tomato sauce and 320 grams of ketchup.
10. Mix and let it simmer.
11. Filipinos usually add grated cheese when everything is done. But my mom grated the cheese when the sauce was still on heat.
12. Pour the sauce into the pasta.
13. And here’s to another round of cheese! That’s how the family likes it.
14. Your Spaghetti with Meatballs is now done and ready to be served.